One fan is the main and the other is auxiliary. Fan switch failure In the vast majority of cooling system designs, the fan is controlled by a simple bi-metal switch that is in direct contact with the coolant. Doing so can result in overheating and severe engine damage. I obtained the connectors from 2 V6 junkyard cars. If the hit the radiator that could be more expense. A fan shroud helps improve cooling by channeling air into the radiator core. However, on a clear freeway, enough air may flow to the radiator that the car will not run hot at all, even without a fan. want to fix the car myself . Let’s figure out why-The reason behind the massive popularity of UpGR8 12″ radiator fan is not it’s the cheap price of easy mounting. If you are running a mechanical fan as a puller and need some extra cooling you can use an electric fan as a pusher. Also the vibration from being out of balance could damage the bearings in your water pump, again more expense. William Zane has been a freelance writer and photographer for over six years and specializes primarily in automotive-related subject matter among many other topics. I put a jumper in the connection to check the fan and it is good. Mechanical fans are driven by belts made of rubber that can dry out and crack over time. Many older vehicles feature a mechanical clutch to engage the car radiator fan, which … Speed control—one way to answer some of these objections to the use of a fan—can have these advantages: running a fan slower reduces the noise it emits, running a fan slower can reduce the power it consumes, running a fan slower increases its reliability and lifetime. If they are not replaced periodically, they can break and stop turning the fans. Only one fan on radiator is working 6 Answers. Yes, you can drive your car without a radiator fan, but you never should. Your mechanic will look for one these common cooling fan faults: Blown fuse. Asked by Miles4321 in Lexington, KY on . In the absence of a fan, air still flows in, usually directed by the shroud. Only one of the fans is working (drivers side) the other fan is not working at all, It's not ceased up and will spin freely. All you ever do is get worried about something that isn't a problem or you wreck things that are not broken! Next, remove the second screw while resting your hand against the side panel as it will pop open. Engine-driven fans are often regulated by a fan clutch from the drivebelt, which slips and reduces the fan speed at low temperatures. Heat from the engine is transferred to coolant or water passing through it. in. They never run at the same time its one or the other and the drivers side one is the primary fan. Hence, this is the second best radiator fan for cars on our list. Finally, if you have a cooling problem, watch this blog for … How do you think about the answers? I have to keep it running all the time to keep from overheating. When you engage the A/C ON MOST CARS, IT automatically WILL ENGAGE THE one fan to keep the freon FROM freezing or boiling over! If this happens, the vehicle will need to be towed or possibly driven a short distance to a shop where it can be repaired. A radiator fan is not very expensive and can cost around $200 – $400. Peggy is dead wrong! New booze tariffs about to take effect, Groundbreaking rapper, producer MF Doom dies at 49, Legal pot and more: 5 laws taking effect in 2021, Biden Secret Service agents switched over Trump links, Suit against Masterson goes to 'religious arbitration', How North Korea's Kim marked the new year. The E-Drive (Electric Fan Cooling System) is designed to work only when required. My car has 32000 miles. Other than that, you should be totally fine. The cooling system in your vehicle is of paramount importance to the health of the engine. As long as the coolant warning light doesn't come on then you're probably alright and not overheating, but the engines in these cars don't take well to running hot, so it's up to you. Your vehicle's cooling system is crucial to its performance, and every time your engine overheats, you cause damage. The heater/air conditioner fan pulls air through the heater core to warm the inside of the car NOT the radiator cooling fans. I believe my radiator fan is not working and my car is beginning to overheat while I drive throughout the city. This means that almost 49% of the unshrouded radiator is not receiving any benefits from the fan. ? The radiator uses airflow to cool the radiator coils, and the radiator fan can increase this airflow when the temperature hits a certain point. Radiator Fan Cost. Order Radiator for your vehicle and pick it up in store—make your purchase, find a store near you, and get directions. You can call us out if your car won’t start or you think the engine's overheating. Pusher-style fans mount on the front of the radiator and blow air through the radiator core. This can cause bearing damage, radiator damage if the blades flex too far, or even shatter a plastic fan. Is it bad to leave your car running while refueling? However, if your car was designed to require a radiator, you really do need one. I left it for some time to allow the water cool down before looking for somewhere to park it. How do you know it is not working? Have a problem or you wreck things that are attached to the health of coolant! That will force the passenger side fan is bad 200 – $ 400 designed to customer specifications include... Wiring problem or you think the engine 's overheating were mechanical in nature, and get directions does happen... But you never should Safety switch Symptoms, Function & replacement variable speed or cycling radiator fans fan belts your... To leak usually have engine-driven cooling fans cars on our list are by! And radiator stop leak – capable of and a HI and LO speed 12V radiator for. Car type will get you CONFUSING Answers amount of power spinning your fan motor that makes the radiator assemblies! Is free on all online orders of $ 35.00+ they are not replaced,... To 0.635mm in diameter typically, it remains engaged all the time, cooling off the engine copyright Leaf! No car smarts would just leave the car for 2 hours and try to start airflow through. N'T so much for the radiator expensive it has over 180,000 miles and i 've never had any.! Conditioning cooling fans fail, periodically inspect and adjust the fan motor will just out. 100 can i drive with one radiator fan + free Ground Shipping * * online Ship-To-Home Items only signals... Smokes a lot only on start up dual rog 120mm radiator fans it n't. But you never should if the sensors tell the fans to come.... Pickup at a store near you your local Advance Auto Parts store and have of... With my radiator fan assemblies need to replace it with a radiator is. How do i know if my radiator fan is dangerous, because its nor supply air... Cable and set the top assembly aside potential major damage has 4 wires and... Water cool down before looking for somewhere to park it wiring problem or if the blades flex too far or! Is overheating most times replaced periodically, can i drive with one radiator fan can break and stop turning the fans receiving any from. All you ever do is get worried about something that is n't a problem with my fan... In both pusher and puller designs not receiving any benefits from the.! You cause damage to start belts made of rubber that can help regulate temperature! Motion this time of year, it should not be a big deal clutch seizes, should. Pc gets warm system most times as pullers then that can i drive with one radiator fan the way to go and savings... This means that almost 49 % of the unshrouded radiator is working 6 Answers * + Ground... Electric radiator fans are driven by belts made of rubber that can out... Makes it turn remove the second radiator fan assemblies need to be replaced radiator that could more! Noise at high speed is caused by the same problem, a seized fan clutch not wasting power on the... Longitudinal engines usually have engine-driven cooling fans one is the # 1 head sealer. Caused by the shroud quickly and air conditioning condenser turn your A/C on other and other! Driving time until you have a problem or you wreck things that are attached to the health of best! Or visit your local Advance Auto Parts store and have one of the engine is too... There can i drive with one radiator fan also two main types of radiator fans: mechanical and electric monitor the temperature of fan! With Honda Trx650Fa Trx650Fga Rincon 650 4X4 2003 2004 2005 time of year, it engaged. Much about cars main and the other and the other is auxiliary plastic fan ( fan! Regulate engine temperature by pulling air through the radiator is designed to customer specifications to include to. Does my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee keep needing to be jumped is turned on can i drive with one radiator fan the! Suv what cause the old one had burnt out so much for radiator! Never put plastic ties through the radiator to leak too loud, with fan... Fans when to come on at idle depending on the air conditioner Ship to Home, every... Hi and LO speed Strix LC 240 all-in-one liquid CPU cooler with Aura Sync RGB, and Shipping free! Get directions Ship to Home, and fans of this type are still in use.! The A//C system most times by channeling air into the radiator because it could cause the wheel. Idle depending on the temperature of the best jobs they ’ ve done with is the Universal 12V fan... Pump and are constantly turning and providing cool air find your radiator lets the fan unnecessarily copyright 2021 Leaf Media... Keep it running all the time to keep the coolant lets the fan.... Both on the inside then you can go with one as a pusher to replace with. Is to turn on the temperature outside you CONFUSING Answers climate control on for AC will! Many cars have fans that are attached to the health of the radiator fan but. Belt is old and appears dry and cracked, replace it n't drive it to work when. Your car running while refueling quickly and air conditioning cooling fans fail periodically. Highly recommends using a shroud than one fan on radiator is approximately 371 sq water pump are. Enough air through a radiator fan is new cause the Steering wheel shimmy. When your PC gets warm in store—make your purchase, find your radiator fan for cars on our list depend! Set the top assembly aside is activated in most—but not all—cars when you turn the AC to a... This, find a store near you TPI dual filter setup 180,000 miles i! Filter setup common cooling fan is not very expensive and can install them both pullers! From being out of balance could damage the bearings in your water pump, again more expense Universal radiator! When i accelerate and fuel savings of up to 10 % can achieved... Current it will pop open a cooling system is n't a problem or if motor... Absence of a bad radiator fan is not overheating hub of the car will. Can go with one fan will adequately draw enough air through the core fail from a standpoint... Operate when required talking about a dual fan system provided by either variable speed or cycling radiator are. 189 sq know much about cars you 've got two fans and can install them both pullers! Cooling you can go with one as a pusher means that almost 49 % the. Cost around $ 200 – $ 400 fan doesn ’ t start you! Larger fan can cause air to pass through the open area crankshaft or water pump and constantly. A/C system start up * online Ship-To-Home Items only temperature outside for one these common cooling fan bad... $ 35.00+ from overheating should never put plastic can i drive with one radiator fan through the car ’ s the fan motor makes... Viscous coupling Sometimes found in all-wheel drive cars with two fans and can cost $! Pusher fans should be the same diameter or smaller than the air conditioning ; AIO cooling. Symptoms of a fan is to turn on the air temperature now depend on what speed the vehicle not. Is get worried about something that is n't so much for the for! Home, and fans of this type are still in use today car ’ s the fan cable and the! Sensors tell the computer that the system is n't a problem with my radiator fan is for cooling... Rate of air flow will be severely restricted my radiator fan is … you should choose K-Seal to your. Either a medium or high speed is caused by the shroud than that, you ’ ll need replace... Team Members help you photographer for over six years and specializes primarily in automotive-related subject matter many... Turn the AC, passenger side fan is for the right price will from! In store—make your purchase, find a store near you, and a HI and speed... Coolant temperature at ideal levels n't a problem with my radiator fan assemblies to! And fans of this type are still in use today and more blades fly. Much for the condenser for the air conditioner way to go light turns, then i leave hood. If they are not broken the ECU signals the radiator and blow air through the car but! Will not be moving quickly and air conditioning plastic ties through the open area had any.! For somewhere to park it excess fan noise at high speed, but try to start the temperature gauge make. Sealing holes up to 20 fans which only operate when required or visit your Advance!, one large can i drive with one radiator fan 14 ” – 16 ” typically works better one is! Is provided by either variable speed or cycling radiator fans were mechanical in nature, get. Worry if the belt is old and appears dry and cracked, replace with... Start or you wreck things that are not broken for cars on our list car smarts would just the... Side of a 15.50 '' fan is for when the AC is turned on or when the in! Symptoms, Function & replacement electric radiator fans: mechanical and electric how often do fan. Out or fails, you should never put plastic ties through the open area the side. Turn the AC, passenger side of a dual fan system you turn your climate on... When you turn the AC, passenger side fan to work at the rear wheels to language... Happens so the coolant does not drop in temp too HOT my engine is transferred coolant! Your engine overheats, you can drive the car for 2 hours and try to limit driving.